Saturday, February 18, 2012

Reaction: Photographs of my Parents -- Maxine Hong Kingston

     In this day and age, pictures have become very popular.  It is now so easy for us to document our lives on a daily basis.  Back then, randomly taking pictures was not too common.  
 
     In this selection, Kingston talked of the things she noticed from looking at the few pictures of her parents she had.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Consequently, Kingston put tens of thousands of words into those photos of her parents.  She inferred a lot of things about her parents and how they adjusted to the change in setting from China to the US.
                                                                                                             
   I guess that the same can be said for me when looking through my parents' old photos.  I could observe a lot about the fashion, the fun things to do, the environment.  Many things have changed yet there is still some odd connection to the present that can be felt. Because of this connection, I feel like I would like to take many pictures of the things that go on around me so that, in the future, people could connect themselves to my past as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment