Tuesday, January 24, 2012

It's a Dog's Life..kinda

          The dog--Man's best friend. We have heard the phrase time and time again, and have reached a point where we just believe the saying, no questions asked.  But what if we do ask the question? I mean, how could an animal be your best friend? Would it give you good advice when you need it?  Would it care for you when your sick? Would it tell you that it loves you in a special way? If a dog could not do these, then how could it be anything like a friend?

          To find the answer to such questions, I took the time to actually observe the specimen.  I watched my dog.  I looked at our seven month old golden retriever, who seemed to be growing bigger and bigger each day.  I tried to see how she reacted, how she could possibly understand.  What does she do? What could she do for me to believe that she is "best-friend-material"?

          I watched how she walked around the house like she owned the place. Surveying every corner, leaving no surface untouched or no spot on the floor unsniffed.  I watched how she followed all of my brother's commands in the hopes of getting a treat for it.  I watched how her ears flopped, fur bounced and tail wagged as she ran towards me with the toy she had just retrieved in her mouth.  I watched and I noticed.  I noticed how she always seemed to be smiling at me.  I noticed how she always seemed to be waiting at the door when I arrived back from school.  I noticed how she always seemed to follow me from the buffet to the dinner table.  All these things, I watched and noticed, then I realized.

          It is not in that the dog intentionally gives me back some kind of emotional response that it becomes a best friend.  It is in the innocence and playfulness of her character that makes me appreciate the little joys of life.
  They say "It's a dog's life" like its a bad thing, but that is not how I see it. My dog shows me how gleeful life can be. And these are the traits that I wish to see the most, above all, in a friendship, are they not?  My best friend is that person who I enjoy being around because s/he exudes happiness.  The simple presence of that person already lifts my spirits and makes me think of only good things. Consequently, the role of best friend, the role of bringer-of-life-to-life can be satisfied by virtually anyone who does that for me. It could be a family member, my neighbor, a stranger, or even my dog.  Friends make life interesting, so I just have to figure out who, or what, my friends are. As it follows, I guess the idea of my dog being my best friend is not too far-fetched now, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment